Bellevue Hospital is now (2001) a large medical centre with a medical school in New York City’s Lower East Side, facing the East River. Much of its old complex of buildings is currently still standing, albeit overshadowed by a twenty-storey block built in the 1970s. The hospital started as an infirmary for soldiers and slaves established by Jacob Varrenvanger in 1658. Clinical instruction was started in Bellevue Hospital in 1847, and in 1861 Bellevue Hospital Medical College was built in the hospital grounds. In 1898 the college became a part of New York University under the name of University and Bellevue Hospital Medical College.
Date : 1890
Licence : Reuse
Licence details : https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0